Thursday, December 23, 2010

Recipe failure

I tried tonight to make a comfort meal from my honeys childhood. When he was little his Mom made salmon cakes which he enjoyed very much.  When she remarried, his step-dad didn't like them, so that put an end to them.

He's been having a rough couple weeks, so I thought I'd try to make them for him as a pick-me-up.  FAIL!


I looked at about a dozen recipes online, and none were like those I remember making previously that I enjoyed myself.  I seem to remember using mayo, but I couldn't find one that listed mayo as an ingredient.  So I figured I was confused and made an interpretation of one I found online.  Salmon, eggs, fresh bread crumbs, dill, and pepper.  Mix, form, dredge, chill, and pan fry.

They were awful.  The salmon was frozen fillets that I poached with lemon juice, vermouth, and some minced onion.  It was fabulous.  The bread and eggs were fresh, the dill was dried.  I keep wondering if the vegetable oil was past it's prime, though oil turns over pretty quickly around here.  I can't really say.  I wonder if they were missing some mayonnaise?l

I might try again, but this time I'll just wing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment