Thursday, December 23, 2010

The magic of siblings

I myself am an only child.  In fact I only have three cousins.  We are a very small family.  I've always been curious what it would be like to have a sibling.

My ex-husband has a sister, and though there were vague attempts at making a connection, one was never made.  It didn't really seem like he even liked her, they fought like children.  "He's looking at me", "She touched me" it was incredibly annoying to an outsider.  However, there was always an undeniable bond that I would never understand.

My honey has a sister, and they seem normal to me.  They enjoy and enrich each other.  Their bond is almost a little sickening, but I do love to watch it.

Honey is having a rough time lately.  His Mom had a very serious health scare.  His parents moved some 13 hours away.  His job is pretty crappy.  In general not a great holiday season for him.  I try to be supportive, I try to nurture, but there's only so much I can do.  Enter Big Sister.

In the course of one phone call last night from his sister, Honey's attitude improved, practically a 180 turnaround.  There is a level of reassurance, and love that only family can provide, and I'm so glad that Honey has that.

No comments:

Post a Comment